Monday, September 22, 2014

Ironman Maryland Race review

Well first and foremost I cannot believe that race day has come and gone. It is unbelievable.  I knew going in that the whole weekend would feel like a blur. These races always do. It still feels like yesterday that I just signed up for the race. And not too long ago that my friend Lori and I decided to even do this race at all. I mean, it was unbelievable.  Ironman truly puts on a fantastic and well run event.  So here is my review of the events:

Pre-race and the Swim

The alarm went off at about 4:15 am. We were planning on getting there roughly around 5:30 since transition opened at 5 and closed at 6:30.  We wanted enough time to get settled, drop off bags to special needs and feel ready. These moments were a blur. The volunteers were great and all the other athletes were awesome as well. Everyone was in good spirits and encouraging.

They did the swim in a rolling start and the starters asked the athletes to seed themselves according to time. My pool times have been right around or under the one hour and twenty minute mark. So I seeded myself at the beginning of the 1 hour and 30 minute group. 

The water felt great and it was just beautiful. I let myself get acclimated to the water and try to get used to sighting. It was pretty packed in and as I was going along,  I definitely found myself running into people. But I also noticed myself passing a fair amount of people too. I was trying to remember my pacing practice which I spent a lot of time in the pool trying to work on. Or make it a game by trying to pick out people to pass. The swim went by so fast. I tried to just enjoy it and settle into the mental mindset that it was going to be a very long day.

At the end of the swim, it was shallow enough to stand fairly early and I ran into a few people going into the finish. I always swim until the last bit since I feel that is way more efficient than walking through waist high water.  I was out and into transition in an hour and thirty minutes. Not bad and the start I wanted. So mentally, I was off to a good start.

Transition

The best part was the wet suit strippers. You run in, lay on the ground and someone pulls off your wet suit for you. Best. Thing. Ever.
After this I grabbed my bike gear bag and ran into the changing tent where you are surrounded by so many naked women.  One thing about this type of event is that all dignity or modesty is tossed out the window. People are rubbing cream and Vaseline on all different body parts and all day long. Snot rockets. Peeing on the bikes. Sweat. Farts. (My favorite sign read: don't trust a fart). Yeah, Ironman athletes are pretty gross.

The bike: my nemesis

I started the bike in good spirits. I had hit my swim mark and had a plan for my bike. The night before, I had bought disposable water bottles to put on the bike since at aid stations there would be full water bottles to replace any used water.

Somehow between lori and I, 3 out of 5 water bottles were brought to transition and 2 were left behind at the hotel...so I told lori to take two and I would take one and fill up at the aid station. Within one mile after starting the bike, I hit a bump and off my bike that one bottle falls. Woops.
Thankfully the first station wasn't too far off and I filled up with three bottles. The first 30 miles of the bike went okay. There were signs to indicate every ten miles. The problem was they also said the miles of the second loop. So I would pass 20 and then also saw  mile marker 70. Bah.

I became very grumpy from mile 30-70. That's 40 miles of me gating the bike, imagining ways to get out of the race that were not disgraceful, swearing, telling myself I would never bike again, and thinking about selling my bike. I tried distracting myself by thinking of songs and reminding myself to just keep going.  I mostly stayed on top of my nutrition. I was getting a little nauseous which is something I dealt with during training. After what felt like forever, I finally reached the second loop and special needs.  I had pit a few things in my special needs that really helped: ginger ale and an oats n honey granola bar. My lively boyfriend had also written me a note and slipped it in there. So of course I start crying (this is a theme for the day).  I take what I need and head out for lap 2.

The weather was pretty good. The wind was a bit tough on the first lap and the sun was out, but would also go through moments of cloud coverage. I started feeling hot and then also started pouring water over myself every 15 minutes. I think this is what helped me turn the bike around. At about mile 70 I started feeling a lot better and picked up my speed.  I had been passed by a lot of people early on, but at the end I was doing some of the passing.

When I finally hit 100 miles it dawned on me that the bike was nearly over. I had biked by my supporters a few times and my parents.  I had started crying a few times just in being overwhelmed by it all. The last 12 miles felt unreal and my right foot started hurting. I was definitely ready to be off the bike.

When you bike in, the route takes you by some of the run course. I was able to start encouraging the people I saw which felt awesome.

I was off the bike after seven hours and forty some minutes. Thank God.

Second transition.
More nudity. And jokes. Good spirits all around. But mostly more nudity.

The Run

I am convinced the Ironman Race is really just about the bike. The swim is a warm up, then the main event of the bike followed by a marathon cool down.

I started the run feeling pretty good. I had mostly hit the time I wanted off the bike (planned for 7.5 hours). So I knew I had a decent amount of time to finish the run. My worst case scenario was to walk it if need be. I started the run at roughly 4:20- 4:30 pm.

My legs felt good. I knew for the run it would mostly just be about forward movement. Just keep going. The supporters were out in full force and that helped with the excitement of it all. I met and talked with some pretty cool people along the course. The aide stations and volunteers were amazing. I had planned to run the cousins with my fuel/water belt but ended up giving it to Nick after the first few miles because the aide stations were so well kept and frequent. I just didn't need it.

The only thing that sucked was the fact that the run course was a three loop route. They had you run by the finish twice, which for the first lap was fine. By the second turn around though, it just felt mean. But it was motivating to hear it and know that I just had one more loop until that was me.
I remember feeling pretty decent through most of the marathon. I didn't start to really be sick of it until mile 21. That was when I just felt done with the race. I was sick of it and bored. I had done all I could to mentally keep myself occupied. I was done with it.

What I will say is the supporters were great.  Nick walked with me some which helped a lot. I was able to see my fellow training partner Lori and hug her as she was heading to finish. I saw two others I knew who were doing the race. It was really surreal.  I definitely started tearing up multiple times at the end of the run.

The Finish

When people tell you the finish line of Ironman is like nothing else- they were not kidding. It is unbelievable.  The fans, volunteers and atmosphere is just incredible. I think at the end everyone is so exhausted but somehow, you find the energy to run down that finisher chute. 

It was surreal. So unreal and to hear your name announced as an Ironman.  I can't even fully describe it. I was tearing up and trying not to cry as I crossed. I didn't want that ugly, teary eyed face.
it still feels like a blur. I knew it would go by fast but it just feels unreal.

I can't believe that it has happened. I have dreamt about this so much over the last year. Not to mention how much this has been on my mind since starting triathlon four years ago. Pretty much everything I have done in this past year has been to help prep me for Ironman. What an experience. 

You can also find find the Ironman Race recap here: Race Day 2014  



5 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I am doing IM MD this year and you have me re-inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to register the day registration opened to get in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have to register the day registration opened to get in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journey sounds so similar to mine... I raced KMD Ironman Copenhagen a few weeks ago but was pulled from the water due to severe hypothermia. (With only .4 to go in the swim) It was my first IM so I was devastated. Luckily I was able to get in to IM MD so my training wasn't wasted... looking forward to the race and thanks for your great report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your review! A 61 year old guy in Kansas City, did my first full at Texas in 2017!! Its amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete