Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Getting back to normal..

It is still very bizarre that this all happened.  I mean, three weeks ago I was preparing for a huge event.  It has been a strange adjustment and I think I am still getting used to everything that has changed in  the last three weeks.  I went from spending every day working out and training for at least two hours to a complete shift.  To say that Ironman feels like it was all just a dream would be putting it mildly. 

I think the hardest part has been trying to figure out what "normal life" is now.  My mind and perspective is still pretty skewed and I find myself feeling guilty that I didn't work out.  I still think about what I should be doing..even though I don't *have* to be doing anything.  I have been trying to give myself plenty of time to rest.  Over the last two weeks right after the race, I did not really do much physical activity.  I swam a few time and have gone on maybe two runs.  Swimming feels pretty good, but I could tell that I was tired with the run.  So I have been backing off and trying to make sure I really give my body the rest time.  This week I am hoping to get back to some sort of near daily routine.  I have never been one to not be active or doing something. 

Which also brings to another big change which is strange: new fitness goals.  I am not sure where to put my focus.  I am still changing my thoughts away from having to do so much endurance.  I find myself getting caught up in the thoughts of "If I don't do at least an hour or two-then its not worth it".  Which isn't true.  I have been doing so much volume that the shift to doing less is tough.  But I am trying to re-focus and determine what my new fitness goals are going to be this winter.  I know I really want to work on my strength training and getting more toned/fit in that way.  I also want to work on my swimming since that is something that I very much enjoy. 

So we will see.  All in all, I am trying to find a new normal and a new balance.  And it's tough.  Because despite how much I griped and complained at time about the volume...I also miss pushing myself so much.  I guess sometimes it is hard to just be still and be satisfied. 

Something to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment