Thursday, September 4, 2014

On Feeling Proud

There have been a lot of moments over the past few months where I have felt proud of myself.  I remember my first 100 miles and how good that felt; the pride in that.  Pushing through my miserable 18 miles and despite walking a lot, feeling proud with pushing through.  Even the weeks I hit around 16 hours would spark a feeling of pride.  Finishing the Bay was a HUGE feeling of pride and wonder of what my body will let me push it through.  I think the reason some of these accomplishments feel so huge is because I reflect on where I started.  When I started swimming, I couldn't swim more than two laps without having to stop and catch my breath.  I used to call a swimmer friend of mine when I finished my first 1/4 of a mile-so proud of myself for continuously swimming that distance.  Kind of amusing if you think about it.

But I think what is sometimes even better than pride in self is pride in others.  And that is what I am going to reflect on today. 

My good training buddy Stacey is doing Ironman Wisconsin in three days.  I started my triathlon journey with her and meeting her through Team in Training sparked what has turned into a beautiful friendship.  She has inspired me on so many levels through not only her dedication in training and support she shows me, but also in pretty much everything else that she does.  We have dreamed about Ironman together, talked consistently throughout this whole training process and all the emotions/challenges that go into it.  Griped to one another about this situation or that.  She has dealt with my neurotic over thinking self on so many occasions and been patient through it all.  I am BEYOND thrilled to follow her journey on sunday and SO freaking proud of her for what she has done.  It has truly been a journey and my only regret is that I can't be there on race day for her in the physical moment. 

Another person to be proud of through all of this is my other training buddy, also met through Team in Training, Lori who is doing Ironman Maryland along side of me.  We both started this journey and dream back when we did our first half Ironman together in 2012.  This has truly been an emotional journey as I've seen her pick up through some tough physical issues and push through.  Not to mention all the other factors that life has thrown her way.  It has not been an easy training season and we have commiserated together, griped, complained and stressed to one another. We have picked each other up (sometimes mid-workout) and pushed each other. She is another one who has unfortunately had to deal with my over thinking self (my bad).  But I have also been so impressed by her strength, her genuineness and the way she always helps me to see past my worry. 

I am so freaking impressed and proud of these two women who are in my life.  I can't wait for them both to cross that finish line.  We have shared so much of our journey together-it is unreal.  Un-freaking-real.

1 comment: