Monday, August 25, 2014

Training fantasies...

That's right. It is time I share with you the things I sometimes allow myself to fantasize about when in the middle of some ridiculously long run, bike or swim.

I am not sure you can handle this. I bet you think it is something fantastically raunchy don't you?

Well I hate to burst your bubble. Because it's not. Its actually rather bland and boring.  I think lately what I find myself dreaming and fantasizing about is all the other things I plan on doing with my free time once this race is over.  Don't get me wrong, I love training. But I am ready to be able to do something other than train on my weekends again. I am also terrified/excited for that day to come. Since it also means the race is over and the day I have spent the last year preparing for has come and gone. I have spent so much of my time dreaming about the ironman and finishing that it is going to be surreal when it's over.  You know there is such a thing as post-ironman blues.  Another post on that later.

For now, here is my fantasy list!

1.  Staying up past 10
Oh man, do I even really need to explain this? I can't wait to not have to worry about bed time.
2. Horses
I miss riding so much. I miss the smell of a barn. I want to get back into horses. Sometimes when I am running through rock creek I will pass horses and it just makes me day dream about this more...
3. Swimming
I know, I know...you are probably thinking WHY am I dreaming about this when I am doing this? Well I really want to join a masters team and hone my swimming. I love it.
4. A painting and wine class
You know, one of those places where you go, drink a few glasses of wine and take an art class.  I am really really wanting to do that.
5. Running time
Again, I know...I am already doing this. But I want to focus more on getting my average speed down. Right now I am just focusing on the miles. I want to get back to a sub 9 mile. That used to be where I was.
6. Baking
God I miss being able to bake. I want to get back to baking bread. Such a good smell.
7. Agility training
I really want to take my one dog shickaray to this agility training. I think she'd be awesome at it. And it'd be good for her.
8. Sign language
I miss being able to do more with learning this beautiful language. I can't wait to attend more silent dinners and events.
9. Sleeping in
I can't wait to have my weekends returned to me. When I can sleep in and....
10. BRUNCH
Man do I miss brunch. I never get to go anymore due to the ridiculous hours of training but man oh man....brunch-when this is all over, I am coming for you.

Even with all these things I think about, I also remind myself to stay present. I know the race will be here soon enough. I have a few more weeks to really focus and I will thank myself on race day that I did.  This upcoming weekend will be one of my longest training weekends including a 100+ mile bike and a run somewhere between 18-20 miles.

It will be worth it. And then I will go stay up until 11, drinking wine and painting while on a horse and taking my dog around an agility course.

No comments:

Post a Comment