Monday, August 4, 2014

Breaking through the bike barrier

I am happy to say I think I have pushed past the mental block between me and my bike.  This past week has felt really good when it comes to my biking-can't say the same for my run, but I suppose win some-lose some yeah?  Having ran a marathon before, I have a bit more of a mental grip on my run vs. the bike.  I haven't always loved the bike.  I was feeling so down and beating up on myself the past two weeks in relation to biking.  I couldn't stay focused.  And I had a saddle sore that would not seem to leave me be.

This week has been different.  I started using aquaphor to help out with chafing and it seems that is doing the trick.  Thank GOD.  I was feeling miserable.  But on the bike rides last week, I enjoyed every single one of them and made it out without any soreness in the saddle area.  SUCCESS!  I tried a new route on thursday which always kinda makes me nervous.  Not the new route, exploring somewhere part-but doing it by myself.  I don't really like to do that too often simply for safety reasons.  I knew this area somewhat, but decided to just go for it anyhow while taking as many necessary safety precautions I could. 

It ended up being an absolutely beautiful ride.  Most of the roads were pretty safe-there was one part where I was on a more traffic-busy road, but it was not for long and the shoulder was pretty wide.  Some rolling hills with nothing too difficult.  Passed a TON of horses (and a donkey) and ended up down by the water at one point.  Totally unexpected and beautiful ride.  It was a nice breath of fresh air instead of going to my usual biking point.  I think it is important to switch up the training ride route on occasion. 

So I left the week-day rides feeling great.  Onto the weekend long ride-the real test.  It ended up being a fantastic ride.  75 miles with good company and with pretty decent weather.  That part ended up being a huge surprise because the forecast was looking shady all week predicting thunderstorms all day.  The temperature stayed cool for the most part and we did not get rained on-both a win in my book!  I felt great though.  My legs didn't feel too spent at the end, I felt like I could go for longer, and while we had some climbs at the end of the ride-I didn't swear off biking while doing them. 

My run on the other hand-was not the best feeling.  Physically, I was all there and able to go-but mentally I was just done.  After starting so late on the bike saturday, the ride ended up taking all day.  I think mentally I was just tired of training after that and wanted to be done.  Still got in 11 miles, but not quite the distance I wanted.  I also realize I need to do more running prep work during the week.  I had let that slide this past week and I noticed a difference. 

15.5 hours spent training.  4 more weeks until taper.  Ironman is NEXT MONTH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment