Thursday, August 7, 2014

Just give me a permanent IV...

I feel like the Dr. Appointments are hitting it hard these last few weeks.  A week ago, I finally made an appointment with a new GI Dr. up at Mercy Hospital.  I had previously seen them but then transferred (ever so briefly) to a GI Dr at Georgetown University.  I decided I did not like him-he was an ass.  Should probably go back to the bedside manners 101 class. 

So upon making this new appointment and meeting with this very in-depth and much more likeable Doctor, there are going to be some changes.  The first thing that kinda threw me for a loop was her impression that my disease has shifted from mild to moderate.  Sigh.  Great.  Secondly, she talked to me about switching to a new medication.  For the past few years, I have been taking daily pills of Lialda.  No big deal and they seemed to work for the most part.  Or at least, I thought they did.  July was a rough month for me and my GI system since it seemed it was so easily triggered and I just could not get any relief.  So now this new DR is thinking it is time for a change in medication.  She wants me to switch to Remicaid which would be infused into my system.  This is kinda scary.  I don't really like the idea of going for infusions of a biological drug.  It just freaks me out a bit. 

So in order to really assess where everything stands-I have to go in for another colonoscopy.  Fun fun.  That will happen next Thursday.  They really aren't that big of a deal and more of a hassle in terms of work/training.  It will happen in the morning and when I made the comment to my Dr "great! I will have plenty of time to bike later then!".  She gave me the stink eye and told me I shouldn't.  I will consider listening to her.

So if the possibility of infusions of Remicaid were not enough, then the nurse practitioner called me with my bloodwork results.  Low Iron and Low Vitamin D.  Both she said are very common for patients with UC or Crohns'.  She said my Iron results were so low that I need to go see a Hematologist in order to receive Iron Infusions.  Which also had me kinda confused.  If you have low iron, that is supposed to equate to low energy right? And if my energy was that low then why am I not dead and dragging with all this training?  And if I get the infusions, will I be superman energy? If that's the case-can I please have some right before the ironman race? K, thanks-bye. ;-)

So I am basically going to be infusing things left and right.  Maybe I can convince them to infuse something fun while they are at it...

No comments:

Post a Comment