Monday, July 28, 2014

The Ironman Struggle is real...

I am feeling stuck. 

And only with one thing.

The bike.

That's her.  I haven't named her yet.  But she's pretty.  And light.  And everything wonderful. 

And I am getting so tired of riding her. 

There was a point where she transformed my feelings about the bike.  Prior to her, I rode a Felt road bike that was a size too big and I didn't even REALIZE it until I got on my Blue.  And then I realized, "OH, so this is what a good fitting bike feels like!".  It was amazing and I was in love. 

Don't get me wrong, I am still very much in love.  But I just can't seem to get focused-I am dreading some of the long rides that I know await me and in the same sense, wanting to do them because I want this race so bad.  I cannot wait to be doing the Ironman. 

I am also not sure how much of this is just a..being tired of being so focused.  I can generally be a very Type A, focused individual and shut everything else out.  But lately I'm noticing that I will think about the beach, or doing something on a weekend like kayaking...and I am noticing that my attention is elsewhere.  Summer is flying by and I have these pangs of wishing I could do more "summer" activities. 

And then I remember Ironman.  I know it will be worth it and I know that I will just have to push through-that these feelings of distraction I have will not last for long.  But man is it a struggle sometimes.  I don't have it with swimming and I don't have it with running.  In fact, in my run I can just go-I might be slow, but I can definitely just keep going.  This last weekend was my longest run yet.  On thursday I did an easy 6 miles followed by friday with 15.  I was tired and my legs were sore, but I felt good.  I've been picking up my swim speeds and doing repeats in order to build a faster pace hopefully.  And those feel great. 

But this damn bike.  I just can't seem to get re-focused.  Really hoping that this week is a turn around.  I am going to just reframe things in my mind, I am going to think about how it will feel to know I put in everything I could into this training and I am going to remind myself to stay focused. 

Ironman is September 20th.  I have 5 weeks of solid focus until it is taper time.  That is also a big driving factor; I don't have much time left.  It's time to leave it all out there so that on race day, I can just celebrate all of my hard work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment