Friday, October 10, 2014

What DO I DO?!?!

So I am toying with the idea of going after a 50 mile ultra marathon next summer.  Just toying at this point.  I am weighing how much time it will take and the energy I will have to put into it vs. everything else that is pulling on my demands.  I think the underlying problem here is I am an endurance junkie.  And let's be honest, is this *really* a problem? I don't think so.  But it is a very time consuming hobby.  Why is it that I have to be attracted to the hobby that requires so much of my damn time?  I don't know.  But it is what it is.

So my attention is drawn to the idea of an ultra.  I think this started last year when I was really reading and getting into "Eat and Run" and "Born to Run".  Two books that really highlight and bring attention to the ultramarathon world.  They also helped me re-do some of my running technique which I didn't realize would pay off as much as it did until my Ironman.  I remember after my marathon I was really tight and sore in the hip flexors.  This was also a feeling that plagued me during training runs.  After concentrating on how I ran (forefoot-mood foot-heel strike) and just overall mentality with running, I noticed a huge improvement in my gait and how I felt afterwards with just some simple changes.  So I was beginning to think about these longer running races last year while preparing for my first marathon. 

But after a year and some change of preparing for Ironman which really does start 6 months out and the training is very time consuming, I am re-thinking this.  Mostly I am just unsure if I want to devote so much time to it.  Part of me wants a mental break from that type of focus and time dedication.  I also know myself well enough to know I will need to have something to focus on when it comes to races/events. I don't know if this will be fulfilled with simply doing olympic distance races or maybe a half ironman in there.  I am thinking about entering the bay swim again and maybe some other open water swimming events. 

So my mind is turning...

No comments:

Post a Comment