Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The hardest part...

I am beginning to believe that the hardest part of ironman will not be the actual race itself.  It is definitely feeling like the hardest part is staying focused through weeks and weeks of this intense training.  I knew it was going to be tough and that it would be time consuming, but you never really know what something will be like until you go through it.  It has been intense.  I feel like everything on my mind is Ironman.  Every week the focus is on training.  Every weekend the focus is on what long rides/runs I will be doing.  I feel like when I get to race day, I will breathe this HUGE sigh of relief knowing that I will be done. 

I remember it feeling that way with the bay swim as well.  By the time I got to swimming IN the bay, I could only think "This is the last long swim I have to do for a while".  I still always have my mantra of "Enjoy the moment" going through my head, but I can definitely tell making it through these last few months will be tough. 

Race day is September 20.  That puts us at roughly 9 weeks away.  I am really hoping to get in my first 100 mile bike at the end of this month.  In August, I hope to be doing 80-100 mile rides nearly every weekend.  I had a 76 mile ride this last weekend which felt like the death of me for a few reasons. 1) The heat was getting to me.  I need to have a heat plan.  2) I had a sore area from my bike saddle.  It started at mile 20 and let me tell you, going another 50+ just makes for some hellish riding.  I couldn't get into it. 

I keep trying to tell myself to just stay focused and push through.  If I can get through the end of this month and through the rest of August, I will be home safe.  The big stuff is just starting to really pick up and the intense distances are coming.  Thankfully, in gearing up for the long run-I can draw on my past experiences with marathon training.  I know what that demon looks like.  I find myself worrying more about the bike and really pushing through at a pace that I am okay with.  Why can't my favorite part of the race be the longest?  Bring on the swimming! 

I just need to make it to September....

No comments:

Post a Comment