Tuesday, June 3, 2014

On the topic of Race day Anxiety/Excitement.

Most of you know my professional life is spent as a therapist to adults, couples, families and children.  For the most part, I try not to let this seep into my regular life through either "over analyzing" friends/family/etc or any other way.  I may not always succeed at this (sometimes it is tough to take off that therapist hat), but I do my best to not let it get in the way of anything. 

That being said, the following post is all about the techniques I use (or would encourage someone with anxiety) to use to help with pre-race jitters. 

1)  Trust Your Training

 This was said to me by a triathlete peer of mine two years ago when I started training for my half-ironman.  I forget who, and I wish I could remember, because I would thank them for giving me a piece of advice that has stayed with me.  Trust your training.  You've put in the work, you've put in the sweat-time-sacrifice and it is all there, waiting for you to pull on it and use it on the day of the event.  I forget sometimes that I have done the work and put in the time.  It is always good to trust the training and the preparation I have put into each event that I sign up to do.

2)  Visualization

This is something I stress with clients and friends a like.  The mind is a powerful tool and I do not think that people take advantage enough of the power that comes with visualization.  All throughout my long swims I would visualize what I thought it would be like to swim through the bay bridge, in between the supports and looking up to see the road above me.  I imagined what that would look like and painted that scene as vividly as I could in my mind.  It not only helped to keep my sanity in my long swims, but I knew there might be a time or two during the race where I would have a "Oh crap-I can't believe I am doing this" moment and it helps me to prepare for if I feel anything anxious about those moments.  I also imagined the complete nothing I would see looking down in the water.  There would be no black line at the bottom, I would barely be able to see my own hand, and those things don't usually bother me-but I visualized them anyhow.

Visualization can be fantastic if you KNOW you will have a problem with something.  Visualizing yourself having the problem, what you are going to do to overcome it, and then pushing through it with whatever techniques you decide, can be a powerful tool.  For example, if you know you have a hard time with nerves, then one could visualize entering the water, starting to get nervous, doing some back stroke and calming down.  You could end the imagery with walking out of the water victorious and overcoming that anxiety.  Visualization can be powerful folks; don't count it out. 

3)  Realize what you can and cannot control

This is a big one.  I have been stalking the weather non-stop since June 8th showed up in the 10-day forecast on my weather.com app.  Is this helpful? No.  Do I have ANY control whatsoever on which way the weather is going to turn? No.  Do I have ANY control over the current or the waves or any other water conditions on the day of the swim?  Absolutely not.  So yes, I do still continue to stalk the weather forecast but I also only allow myself to worry about it for about 5 minutes.  And then I remind myself I have no control over these factors.  Move on.

4) Find a good Pre-Race Routine

 If you are at all like me, you like some sort of routine before the day of an event.  For me, triathlon pre-event prep includes laying out my transition area, double checking that I have everything, and doing this about twice.  I probably pack and re-pack my back 2 times.  Call me OCD, but it is my routine and well, if you don't like-don't do it.  But there is something calming about my pre-event routine.  I also tend to start waking up super early a week before the event to get my system used to waking up early.  This way, when the night before the race comes, my body is used to falling asleep between 8:30 and 9 and waking up before 5 am.  My system is also used to waking up that early and nothing feels like a jolt.

5)  Really, truly experience the moment

This is another big one for me.  Our races, bike tours, open water swims-they are all over way too quickly.  It might not feel like that in the moment, but it is true.  I constantly remind myself to enjoy each moment of the swim, bike, or run.  Whatever it is I am doing.  I remind myself "this moment will be over too soon-don't waste any of it".  Especially as I am about to take on the bay, I am mixed with some nerves but mostly excitement.  I love open water swimming.  I will be swimming a great distance and in a body of water that is surreal.  And I know it will be over with too fast.  I know it will be challenging and tough.  But it will also only last for a brief moment and I will need to enjoy each of them.  I don't want to miss any of it.  I don't want to take any of it for granted and I hope I can truly soak it all in.  I can't wait.

On a different note, I am so ready to be done swimming so much.  Bring on normal 3,000-4,000 yd swims only. 

So that is what I have for now.  Everyone has different styles and ways they handle their nerves and excitement.  I am merely sharing with you some of mine. 

Good Racing folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment